Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Tartine Bakery
Sorry for the lack of updates--it's only been the first week of school but I've been busy dealing with my schedule. The very temporarily springlike weather has now passed so snow has fallen once again. I still have a huge backlog of winter break eats though. One place that I frequented (too) often was Tartine Bakery. I think I must have gone at least four times a week for coffee and pastries.

Croissant and a cup of mocha

Their croissants are sooo good. Flaky, buttery, toasty (but not burnt), these are some of the best croissants in the city. But what I find even more amazing than their croissants is their hot chocolate. The Scharffen Berger chocolate is so rich that it adheres to the sides of the cup. It's like drinking a warm chocolate bar! I must note that I usually get a mocha though, being the espresso fiend I am.

Apple nougatine tart

It is needless to say all of Tartine's tarts are flaky and delicious. What I really enjoy about this one are the fresh apples, sweetened just a tad, and the thick layer of toasted almonds.

Pumpkin tea cake

I was a bit cautious when I ordered this, because at most places, these type of cakes are too dense and sweet. However, Tartine didn't disappoint. Very flavorful with a great pumpkin spice and clean taste.

Berry frangipane tart

I am unable to resist any sort of flaky crust with almonds. The (cran?)berries were fresh and bursting with flavor, and the light almond cream sweetened it perfectly. The almonds topped it perfectly with a crunch.

Biscotti

One of my favorite pasttimes is chatting over espresso and biscotti during afternoon tea. Fine, I don't get to do this so much so I overcompensate during breaks. The biscotti here are delicious--abundant walnuts with a great crumbly texture. I despise crispy and hard biscotti!





I hereby declare Tartine my second home. I haven't had anything bad there; nothing was ever too sweet or tasted unfresh. If you're lucky, you can catch them baking a batch of walnut/country bread. It's only been four days and I'm suffering from Tartine withdrawal!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carb Lover's Convention
March 17-24, 2006
The Chateau, San Francisco


Hope you can make it.

1/25/2006 10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Tartine but Citizen Cake was my weakness. I was "forced" to drive by on every week on the way to church in the Haight. Sigh. Your photographs--especially those macaroons--are fabulous!

1/29/2006 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home