Monday, January 16, 2006

Medicine Eat Station - A restaurant for masochists


I had wanted to eat at Medicine Eat Station ever since I first learned about it. From the description on its site:

"The Zen monks of Japan say that food should be taken simply as medicine for the health of the body. Over half a millennium, they have created a seasonal cuisine called shojin to express this ideal. At MEDICINE, we call our cooking new-shojin because we have given it a unique edge, and incorporated modern nutritional ideas. We serve this food at our eat-station a quick, everyday place-to-eat, joyfully liberated from the formality of traditional restaurants."



I had a chance to eat there during my week at the St. Francis. The restaurant is on the second floor of Crocker Galleria, decor minimalist and simple. The place seemed pretty popular--I was expecting a good meal. . . (I should have noticed the disgruntled guy in red poking at his food)

I decided to go for one of the foundation sets on the menu. The soba set, at $8.95, sounded pretty good. It would include (quoted from the menu):

hearty bowl of buckwheat noodles and vegetable toppings in housemade shojin broth

This was not hearty at all. The noodles were nothing special and the "shojin broth" tasted more like very watered down soy sauce. There was absolutely no flavor to this. I understand the whole concept of the restaurant is simple, healthy, but it doesn't mean bland and tasteless! I've tasted vegetable broths a thousand times better.


fresh organic, artisan tofu with ginger and nori

I was expecting silken tofu, but this was more like a thick custard. It was slightly crumbly and hard to cut into. Again, nothing special.


housemade fresh pickled vegetables

I can't believe they even listed this part of the set--they give you this for free at most Japanese restaurants! These pickled vegetables were not very tasty either.

Ruth decided to go for the clarity set at $9.95. This was perhaps the biggest ripoff I have ever seen at a restaurant! I was almost laughing when her order arrived--it was that ridiculous.

It would include:


a sophisticated plate of simmered vegetables with housemade sesame sauce

"Sophisticated?" Five boiled pieces of veggies with some sesame sauce that, coincidentally, also had no flavor. The vegetables were so overcooked that each piece was tasteless. If they wanted to win customers over with food styling, they also failed in that respect.


cold clear soup with cucumber and sour plum

I got a taste of this as well. Since most of their food had no seasoning or flavors, I was expecting a tasteless soup, but this was very salty. It was basically a bowl of vegetables in some cold salt water. Tasted as bad as it sounds.

The set also included the tofu and the pickled vegetables.

The best thing i could say about the meal was that it was a palate cleanser for my French Laundry debauchery that followed that night. I respect Medicine's concept, except aren't they somehow supposed to make this healing food...edible? Patrons go to Chez Panisse for a concept too, but at least their food is good!

The owners of this place are geniuses. Capitalizing on the great Financial District location, the clientele of affluent business diners, they can draw (and win over) so many souls with their shojin concept. If you don't like the food, it's not their fault--it's yours for not getting it. Oh yeah, they also tack on a 17% service charge for some very shoddy service. Seriously, they're geniuses.

If you are on a detox diet or just feeling very masochistic, go to Medicine. But even then you might be disappointed.

(glowing) Jai Yun report coming soon!

Labels: ,

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something like 32 hours until I resume le masochism... although, as much as I am dreading that, the Medicine Eat Station sounds much worse. Perhaps I shall go eat there at the prime of mid-term week for maximum pain. Yes.

1/16/2006 1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to know how your organization can raise all the funds it needs �� without the hassles of selling frozen pizzas, cookie dough, and all the other useless stuff that people only buy out of obligation?!

Regards,
1stopshop how to start a fund raiser

1/22/2006 4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fund professional raising - Good News. Now your group, school or church can make money with its own giant fund-raising Internet Shopping Mall!

1/22/2006 4:41 AM  
Blogger shuna fish lydon said...

I am sorry to see that this was your experience. I had the almost opposite experience, although had I had yours I definately would have said something. Or many things.

I had this tofu from Japan which knocked my socks off and also a housemade almond milk that was glorious. But there was one dish that was drenched in tahini and I could see how "conceptual" food might have its down sides.

1/23/2006 9:03 PM  
Blogger Janel l'a dit... said...

Hi!
As with Shuna, I had a very different experience with Medicine. I would really give it another chance and order the Maitake Tempura, Broiled Eggplant and The Sweet Dumpling Squash entreé... It's strange, it's actually one of my current favorite restaurant in SF...

1/24/2006 1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good information

1/24/2006 8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fasting can make you look much thinner in only a couple of days. You may not lose a significant amount of weight, but it will look like you have. It can make your waist noticeable thinner and clean up blemishes or skin problems.
Link to this site. atkins weight loss diet

1/26/2006 11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More than 1000 Mouthwatering Indian Recipes to choose from. Make wonderful mouthwatering dishes at home and impress/suprise your loved ones. Step - by - step instructions that actually show you how 5 Star Chefs create such delicious meals.
authentic indian food
A must for Indian Food lovers.

1/27/2006 1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came accross the term "sandals dunns river beach bar and grill" the other day and I did not know what it was. When I search for it I found your site. Thought you might find that interesting :)

1/27/2006 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the better results I saw from my fasting experience was that I have more self control over my eating habits. I have always been a binge type of eater. After my fast, I felt like I could restrain myself easier. It is proberbly a mental attribute. I mean I can go without eating for 7 days then I sure can keep myself from eating something I shouldn't.
Link to this site. vegetarian weight loss diet

1/27/2006 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post

1/27/2006 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good info

1/27/2006 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where i get more info?

1/27/2006 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the informative blog
Here Is some additional
Tauck Tours Resources with vacation ideas, and information if you or your readers are interested.Guided Tours and Vacations

1/28/2006 5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post

1/29/2006 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the info

1/31/2006 4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the info

1/31/2006 4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's time to take charge of your future and independence by having your own business!

1/31/2006 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well this was interesting to read, I surf blogs alot I can't say to much right now but good posts/post, thx.

fishing spot

2/01/2006 1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like I found another good blog thanks for the posts. keep blogging!

colorado fly fishing trip

2/01/2006 1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very nice site. I was out looking for "advantages of high protein diet" and found your blog in the process.

Best of luck.

2/01/2006 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very nice site. I was out looking for "trace adkins honky ton badonkadonk" and found your blog in the process.

Best of luck.

2/02/2006 7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

2/05/2006 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


best weight loss program Weight Loss Tips - 101 Weight Loss Plan
101 Plan to Lose 10 Pounds or more and Keep it Off!

There was a time in this world when the need to lose weight was completely unheard of. People ate well, but the worked well too. They woke up early in the morning and then engaged in a whole day's work.

The world has changed so much since those days. Life styles have changed and the comforts and facilities have increased so much. But every rose has its thorn. Weight Loss Tips best weight loss program

2/07/2006 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

Thank you for everything you have taught me on this befitting
webblog of yours..

Thanks,
befitting

2/14/2006 5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serve Chef Style delicious Indian Cuisine to your family and friends.
Everyone will be shocked at your success in this culinary art of cooking.
Learn the secrets of Professional cooking from these 5 Star Chefs.
indian food
For all Indian food lovers.
Link to this site: indian food
http://www.eating-healthily.com/

2/14/2006 7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually like Medicine a great deal, although they've recently changed their menu to include fish and a broader range of dishes. my boyfriend, however, hates it. to each his or her own i guess. you did, however, pick their worst dishes.

i'd maybe give it another go?

4/06/2007 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Penis Enlargement Pills said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

5/20/2011 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home