Sunday, January 22, 2006

Ti Couz

One of my favorite must-visits when I'm in San Francisco is Ti Couz on 18th and Valencia. Not only is it the first creperie in the city but also one of the few places to serve Brittany style crepes. Galette on Fillmore is also very good for Brittany crepes. Places like Squat 'n Gobble don't stand a chance.

Something I'm not too crazy about is the service, though. I always end up with the same female server who has a lot 'tude. Some of you probably know whom I'm talking about.

Mushroom crepe with egg

Mushroom crepe

Something I love about their savory crepes is that they're not too heavy. They're well seasoned and generous with the filling, but it doesn't make you feel nauseated after eating them. Portion sizes are pretty big too--I always want to order dessert, but alas, my stomach inhibits me. The skin is crunchy with a hearty buckwheat flavor; my favorite parts are the crispy edges. I always get some variation of mushroom.

Apple crepe

All their dessert crepes are excellent as well. They're very good about not making things too sweet. I usually get a fruity crepe, since the fruit is fresh, not syrupy like many other places.

Pear crepe with Grand Marnier

Beautiful and delicious too! My must-visit when I go to Ti Couz is Tartine Bakery a few blocks away. I'll post about that next.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

aha - you like the mushroom with egg,
I like the complete with mushroom!

But my favourite of all time is the mushroom cheese and almond.

The trouble with some of the staff is that they never move on, they seem to like it as much as the customers!

1/22/2006 8:42 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Ahh, those look delicious! I don't think I'm a big fan of crepes but maybe I haven't had a really good one yet.

Love that last photo. I imagine it going "FOOM"...well, if it were a cartoon.

1/22/2006 8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your pics! I was just wondering what kind of camera you use to take them

1/23/2006 12:06 PM  
Blogger Brian Chu said...

Great entry. Your pictures are wonderful.

1/23/2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger Hungry Hedonist said...

sam-the mushroom cheese and almond sounds great. Must try that next time.

robyn-I've heard good things about Rue Des Crepes, but I haven't been there myself.

anon- I use a Nikon D50. The higher end D70 is a better option if you are a very advanced user, but the D50 works very well also.

1/23/2006 6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer--What a great blog--I discovered it thanks to Sam over at Becks and Posh. Now I moved from Oakland/San Francisco a year and a half ago and live in Syracuse. But I'm Cornell '94 (Architecture school--grad degree). I think we are going to have to have a CNY food blogger event soon--there are more and more of us everyday. I'll link you to my CNY food blogger list!

1/23/2006 7:38 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Why do I not like buckwheat crepes? Should I try again?
(OK: That flaming photo. O-my-gaw.)

1/24/2006 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home