Saturday, February 11, 2006

I love you, Ferry Building Pt. II
One of my favorite things in all the world is mushrooms. I love all varieties, and my favorites include chanterelle, shittake, morel, enoki, portabella, oyster, hen-of-the-woods, black trumpet, and, of course, truffles. I should join one of those mushroom appreciation clubs. For you shroom fans out there, there are mushroom hunting trips in Muir Woods if you're interested.

It's not a surprise then, that my favorite store at the Ferry Building is Far West Fungi. They have a good selection of all things shroom related.

They have some pretty great truffle oils (up for tasting too!). In season they also have a few truffles, but they say they don't really carry too many. I guess I have no choice but to go truffle hunting in Alba.

Outside the store they also have some mushroom fact sheets. If only all science were this fun.

What is this mound of goop you ask?

It's actually 3 salads from Delica rf-1: Mushroom salad (an assortment of delicious sauteed mushrooms, bean sprouts, celery, bell peppers, and zucchini tossed in a soy sauce-based dressing. Mushrooms provided by Far West Fungi); spinach with sesame dressing; hijiki and soybean salad. It was semi bland, but just what I was looking for since this was the morning after my Jai Yun debauchery. What I wanted to get though, were the crab croquettes. Crunchy and light batter with creamy, melt-in-your-mouth crab meat inside. So delicious!

I don't really like cooked sushi, but I do like beef-it looked well marbled!

More SF posts coming up and one from Ithaca too--apparently, the Northeast region's best Thai food, according to the Times.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nina said...

Haha-- I was just at the Ferry Building on Saturday and posted pic's on my blog, too... The mushroom store was great -- I still can't believe how cool their pink and yellow oyster mushrooms were.

2/13/2006 8:42 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Hey, I have actually been to this store, even though I live in Utah. I bought some mushroom stock cubes which were amazing. Love your blog.

2/14/2006 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home