Saturday, April 29, 2006

Murray's Bagels
As I approach my last week of classes, I am seriously considering another trip down to the city, mainly to quell my desire for scones and muffins. The only thing holding me back is 3 finals, a project, and two papers. But I don't think I can concentrate if I didn't have my muffins. I wish someone could just cryovac them and send me some already!

DSC_0323.JPGSoo, onto more meals during spring break. New York is known for good bagels; the top joints that people name are Ess-a-Bagel, H&H, Murray's, etc. Since I was in the area, I went to the Muray's in Chelsea.

DSC_0321.JPGWild Nova Scotia Lox w/ red onion, tomatoes, scallion cream cheese, and capers

The bagel was good. I usually like them toasted, but since they don't do that here, I had to settle for it plain. It was still good though--the outside was slightly crispy, and the inside was soft and chewy. The lox was quite fresh. I really liked the cream cheese too; they have a pretty wide selection, which we don't get in the Bay Area. At $9.75, it was a bit pricier than your average bagel.

I suppose Murray's is good, but I can't exactly tell what a "good" bagel is. I grew up on Noah's, which I find perfectly adequate. Even if I went to the "best" bagel joints or just randomly chose one off the street, they'd probably taste pretty similar to me. That said, I don't find Murray's, if it is indeed one of the better bagel establishments in bagel capital, to be mindblowing.

Murray's Bagels
242 8th Ave Frnt
New York, NY 10011

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noah's=huge and airy... disgusting.

we should check out Katz' Bagels in the MISSION sometime.

Murray's lox looks delicious, great pic.

4/30/2006 4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no no, Murray's bagels don't belong in the pantheon with H&H and Ess... But one place that does is Davids bagels on 1st avenue between 13th and 14th streets. Divine. Highly recommend their onion bagels toasted, since somehow they manage to do onion bagels that are delicious but don't leave an onion taste in your mouth for the following 24 hours!

5/21/2006 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home