Sunday, April 23, 2006

Magnolia Bakery
DSC_0354.JPGCarrie and Miranda (SATC, for the non-watchers) really liked cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery. The legendary store is often credited with launching the cupcake trend around the country. That said, I carried high hopes but was very let down.

DSC_0352.JPGCupcakes are self-serve, so you grab a box and put your cupcakes in there. Notice all the awards this place has won (undeservingly). I waited a long time to take this picture because there was such a long line out the door!

DSC_0353.JPGThese cupcakes sell so quickly that they bring out a new batch every five minutes.

DSC_0349.JPGI grab a chocolate one and plain one. The frosting is so tooth-achingly sweet that I smear it all on the box. I could literally discern the sugar granules. The cake itself is crumbly and quite dry. They pale in comparison to the cupcakes at Babycakes, or any home-made cupcakes for that matter.

DSC_0345.JPGThe ambiance of the place is retro and very 50s. It's a welcoming atmosphere, but really doesn't make up for the bad cupcakes, which should be Magnolia's main strength. When you come here at peak demand, the line snakes around the corner and the wait is a good 30-45 minutes. I really don't mind waiting in line for food, but it has to be good. I don't think I'd ever return, even if they were having free givaways.

DSC_0344.JPGI promise to update more frequently and finish meals from spring break. Can't wait to go back to the hyphyayarea in a couple weeks.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's sad about magnolia - i had such high hopes! i guess citizen cake takes...the cake (ha ha) for cupcakes?

keepin it hyphy,
h.h.

4/23/2006 1:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG -- I feel the same way as you. Dry and just tasteless. I was quite surprised at the lines of people that wait to get their cupcakes. I'm definitely going to check out babycakes in July. Tell me what you think of Billy's cafe.

4/27/2006 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home