Wednesday, March 29, 2006

ChikaLicious
DSC_0565.JPGI'm sure this blog has no more readers because of my blogging un-diligence. For the one or two of you still reading, here is another post from my week in Manhattan. NYC is full of dessert places, patisseries--overall, places that can satiate the biggest sweet tooth. ChikaLicious is a dessert bar in East Village; they serve solely desserts and have a semi-often changing menu. Julyanne, I'm sure you're cringing at the logo.

DSC_0553.JPGAmuse: Apple sorbet with peppercorn gelee

This was alright but I wasn't blown away. The sorbet was sort of lacking in flavor and the gelee was very subtle also.

DSC_0561.JPGWarm chocolate tart with pink peppercorn ice cream and red wine sauce

I kind of regret ordering this, as the chocolate tart turned out to taste exactly like a lava cake. The chocolate was really rich so I couldn't detect the tart pastry. The peppercorn ice cream was interesting and probably the best part of the dessert. The red wine sauce seemed out of place and wasn't that flavorful.

DSC_0562.JPGPetit Fours: truffle, brown butter cake, coconut marshmallow

All were pretty good, except the brown butter cake which was overwhelmingly heavy.

DSC_0558.JPGChikaLicious is a great concept, but a bit undeserving of all the hype it gets. The desserts are innovative and presented nicely, but just not all that good. It's worth a visit just to experience seeing Chika make the desserts, but don't expect mind-blowing desserts.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

Mmm, explosive diarrhea...

I wasn't too wowed by anything at Chikalicious either...not that it was bad, but I guess I expected more. :( It was all pretty. I just found it weird that I left hungrier than when I went in.

3/30/2006 5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had to wait an hour, but was not disappointed and would most certainly join the queue again. The extraordinary flavor combinations alone, are worth the wait. The amazingly fresh main courses are simply riveting in imagination and taste. I had the Darjeeling Tea Panna Cotta with Nectarine Sorbet. My wife had the Cantaloupe Melon with Quinoa and Lemon milk Sorbet. Wow! A must visit

8/07/2007 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home