Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Babycakes
DSC_0188.JPGHoly crap! A post! I promised I'd be better at updating. Though I should be working on a case study.

I still have a few meals from spring break left. So on my way to wd-50 on the Lower East Side, I see this sign:

DSC_0189.JPGYes, a huge ass BAKERY sign that is just beckoning me to approach. It turns out to be Babycakes, which I had heard many good things about. "Gentle treats for delicate tummies" is their mantra; they feature baked goods with no sugar, eggs, nuts, gluten, dairy, or wheat. The amazing thing is that their products are really freakin good!

DSC_0313Wheatfree vanilla cupcake

Behold, an excellent cupcake. The frosting was flavorful and not too sweet (ahem, Shitnolia). The cake was moist and had substance without being too heavy. I also tried the lemon one, which was great as well.

DSC_0190.JPGThese are some of my favorite blueberry muffins. At first, I wasn't quite sure how I felt about them. They were very light for being muffins, and the texture had a slight chewiness that I attributed to their veganism. But after my first one, I was hooked. In fact, I'm craving them right now. I think I might skip Slope Day for some LES eats (il Laboratorio del Gelato included).

DSC_0192.JPGBrownies

DSC_0191.JPGSpelt Biscuits

DSC_0193.JPGThe cookies, I felt, were a bit overmixed. They were holey and lacking in texture.

DSC_0195.JPGMore cakes and goodies on the counter.

DSC_0194.JPGCool, frosting shots for $1! If Magnolia offered that, it would be diabetes galore. Also notice that Babycakes has a really cool retro feel to it. Sooo if you are in the nyc area, be sure to visit.

Babycakes NYC
248 Broome Street
New York, NY 10002

Store address is a new feature. The Hungry Hedonist is enriching the lives of readers everywhere.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

I'm glad you liked Babycakes! It gets mixed reviews, but I figure some things are better than others. The chocolate cake with the chocolate goo all over it was the best thing I've had so far. I gotta try the muffin next time...

4/25/2006 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow this place sounds like heaven... because you KNOW how i feel about super sweet pastries.

taco nada.

4/27/2006 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, SHITNOLIA.

how do you feel about power lunches in SF's financial district this summer?

with lukewarm regards,
h.h.

4/28/2006 2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home