Friday, November 17, 2006

Sweets and Things
After our quick lunch at Katz's, we decided it was due time for some sweets. We headed a few blocks down and found ourselves in front of Babycakes and its big Bakery sign. It was as if its mere presence had beckoned for me to find it.

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG
I decided to go with an apple muffin, because I had been craving one of their muffins since last spring. I was a bit disappointed to find it so mushy, since I was craving the chewy, slightly crusty texture of their blueberry muffins. I would have had ordered something else but at this time A called since she had arrived in the city. We headed up to Grand Central to pick her up, and I decided it was time I introduced her to the magnificent Lady M. I don't think there has been a time in the past two years that I've gone to the city without refueling with some crepe cake. I'm getting predictable.

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG
If there is one word to describe this place, it would be sterile. It was more sterile than I had remembered, because once we were seated, we were talking in hushed whispers and turning our phones to vibrate. Visiting the two bakeries in the same day is a good way to juxtapose the neighborhoods in which they are situated. In any case, soon after I took this picture, the lady in the short hair snapped at me for taking pictures. Well, as you can see below, I didn't quite listen.

DSC_0029.JPG
This was an excellent fruit tart. The fruits layered on top were fresh and juicy, and we were delighted to find some sliced papaya on there. The best part was the crust, which was an interesting contrast of textures. The outer and bottom crust was shortbread-dense and crumbly, while the layer on top was soft and cakey. Delicate and delicious.

DSC_0031.JPG
And of course, the mille-crepe cake. A enjoyed the ethereal layers and the smoky caramelized crepe on top.

Babycakes NYC
248 Broome Street
New York, NY 10002

Lady M Confections
41 East 78th Street
New York, NY 10002

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger annulla said...

I know next to nothing about the UES, let alone Lady M's. Thanks for the introduction. What's in the mille-crepe cake besides, uh, lots of crepes? Is that a custard filling I see?

11/17/2006 7:11 PM  
Blogger Hungry Hedonist said...

The crepe cake has 20 layers of crepes sandwiched between a very light custard cream. You should go have a taste :)

11/18/2006 9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home