Saturday, July 22, 2006

Delfina
So it took me forever and a day to get to Delfina, but now I understand. Amidst all the hype and frenzy for a reservation, I went in with high expectations, and left very whelmed (as opposed to under- or over-). The excellent food, great service, and nice space all contributed to a good meal.

Bread and Butter, of all things

Insalata del campo - Bitter greens, pancetta, walnuts, parmigiano and balsamic vinaigrette

I always prefer my salads very lightly dressed, and this was done perfectly; the ingredients were amazingly fresh and complemented each other. I sure do love those bitter, crunchy greens.

Spaghetti with plum tomatoes, garlic, extra virgin olive oil and peperoncini

It's amazing how a simple pasta can be so tasty. The sauce was zesty and spicy without being overpowering; the spaghetti was a great al dente. Though it was great, I still maintain that even the best SF pasta can never live up to good Manhattan joints.

Grilled local albacore with fresh cranberry beans, garden beans and salsa verde

The fish was delicately grilled and a nice rare in the middle. While the fish was good, the sides were exceptional--amazingly fresh and simply prepared so that the vegetables really tasted like what they should (you can prob tell Delfina does the Chez Panisse thing extremely well).

Lost Coast Ranch lamb with English peas and polenta

This entree was superb. The lamb was young, tender, and not the least bit gamey. Again, a simple preparation with barely any sauce or garnish, but great ingredients and excellent execution. It has also been a while since I've had peas this fresh; they definitely make up for the lack of spring in Ithaca.

Profiteroles

Rich and smooth espresso gelato on a crispy pate a choux, though I would've preferred the near-ethereal dough to be a bit more flavorful and buttery. I have to say, though, these might be some of of my favorite profiteroles in the city.

Nectarine/cranberry Crostata with ginger gelato

Fresh, not overly glazed fruit arranged artfully on a buttery, flaky crust. What's not to love?

There was nothing I disliked in this meal. It was a big peccadillo on my part not to have gone earlier.

Delfina
3621 18th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 552-4055

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home