Thursday, January 07, 2010

Segundo Muelle - Lima, Peru
Because I'm really following through with this blogging discipline thing, I will set out to finish my Peru coverage. The day before N and I were to leave Lima, we wanted to leave town thoroughly satiated by ceviche. We found our way to Segundo Muelle in the beachy San Isidro part of town. Having won the prize for best ceviche in Lima, it is acclaimed by some to be one of the best cevicherias in Lima. We grabbed a romantic table on the outdoor terrace amidst the grey skies and honking cars. 

DSC_0439.JPG
Tumorous corn nuts

DSC_0444.JPG
Almejas a la Chalaca - mussels with corn, onions, peppers, lime

DSC_0450.JPG
Tasting of ceviches

DSC_0454.JPG
The award-winning cebiche de mariscos a los tres ajies

Everything was super fresh and top-notch; Segundo's reputation is well deserved. The spicy ceviche is one of the best I've had; delicately spicy and flavorful without masking the freshness of the seafood. The meal came out to ~$30 USD; quite a steal in the US, but several times more expensive than the dirt cheap mom and pops typically frequented by locals, who consider ceviche a cheap staple of their cuisine. Peruvian is the new Thai nowadays, so I have accepted that I will inevitably pay a premium here. 
 
Speaking of which, I was in line to check in for my flight when I started chatting with a father-daughter pair on their way to the States for some specialized medical treatment. I explained that I was flying into SFO, and they started talking excitedly about a Peruvian celebrity chef who was opening a cevicheria in SF "near the water." Turns out they were talking about La Mar, which I have been loyally frequenting since it opened after I moved here. In more exciting/eerily ominous news though, Kate from Lost was sitting in my pre-board waiting area but I didn't know her real name so I refrained from striking up a conversation. Or perhaps I didn't dare tempt fate given there was a Lost character on my flight. 

Segundo Muelle
Pablo Carriquirry 441, San Isidro,
Lima Perú

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Single Guy Ben said...

Wow, looks like you really had the classic Peruvian meals, very authentic!

1/13/2010 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really dislike Kate. Like, really really do.

1/14/2010 8:22 PM  
Blogger Hungry Hedonist said...

Team Juliet

1/14/2010 11:36 PM  
Anonymous pay per head said...

Wonderful post. If only I'd of come across something as wise and straightforward when I was starting out! See you at the reading!

5/12/2012 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home