Thursday, January 07, 2010

I eat at Plant Cafe because I'm Gen Y
I really like Plant Cafe and eat there quite often. I'd eat there even more if it were closer to my office and if my immediate coworkers shared my affinity for lighter takeout fare. When the collective decision is Patxi's or CPK for the 3rd night in a row, I choose to Go Rogue.

- This point appeals to all generations: the food is consistent and actually very good. The Plant Burger (patty made of lentils, mushrooms, beets, cashews and bulgur wheat) will deceive you. The description sounds gnarly and the patty looks alarmingly like raw meat (coloration from the beets), but you will be pleasantly surprised by the textures and the palatably nutty resemblance to meat. The soups change daily, and are consistently good (not too thick, never watered down, not too salty). I've also enjoyed all the seasonal made-in-house pastas (cooked delightfully al dente). They offer a decent dessert selection (I am a fan of the lemon meringue and seasonal fruit tarts, in that order) as well as Blue Bottle Coffee.

- We Gen-Yers like to maintain some sort of work-life balance. After working long hours in the office because we were conditioned to attempt responsibility beyond our years, we really don't feel like cooking (not that I ever really do, but bear with me). The job usually doesn't allow me to make long sit-down dinner plans in advance during the week, so when I get out earlier than expected, Plant is the default. This is the type of stuff I could eat every day, sort of like the Whole Foods self-serve section. It's reasonably priced, healthy, and not an easy-to-get-sick-of zesty. It's also refreshing to be at the median age in an eating establishment in San Francisco, for once.

- We Gen-Yers like to challenge the status quo. When we're not tweeting or musing over our next start-up ideas, we are advocating some sort of cause. In Plant's case, it's two birds with one stone: green tech and sustainable local food movements. Plant claims to "use the power of the sun to cook your food!" which sounds pretty dandy to me. 

Plant Cafe and Restaurant 
Pier 3, The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94111

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home