Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Canteen
I am back from my weeklong spring break in the SF Bay Area that consisted primarily of food and contributing my part in stimulating the economy. I will probably be posting about bay area restaurants for a while to alleviate some of my backlog. The Friday consisted of a long day of flying that included me eating a barely edible turkey & swiss in the Dallas airport, while waiting for another delayed flight. I decided to reward myself with a trip to my brunch staple, Canteen in the Commodore Hotel. I've posted about it before, so I won't bore you with a similar review.

DSC_0150.JPG
Eggs Benedict

I absolutely adore Canteen's eggs benedict. The eggs are poached perfectly, but most of all, I enjoy their hollandaise, which is light and smooth.

DSC_0152.JPG
Strawberry French Toast

Their French toast is also excellent, with the softest, juiciest pieces of bread that soaks up every last bit of the strawberry juice. I also like how the "syrup" isn't starchy and overly sweet.

DSC_0153.JPG
Apple Pancake

While the pancake itself is perfectly smooth and fluffy, I found the apples a bit undercooked and hard in contrast. I also wish that the entire thing were evenly browned, since I found myself gravitating toward the westerly hemisphere.

DSC_0154.JPG
Roast Beef Sandwich

The real star of the meal turned out to be the roast beef sandwich that rarely appears on the menu. Thinly sliced pieces of warm, tender, juicy, medium rare beef comes sandwiched between two slices pieces of toasted, seedy bread. With a crunchy exterior and soft textury interior, the bread comes topped with sesame and poppyseed. This also comes with a homemade mayonnaise-ish type condiment. Subtely hearty is how I would describe this brilliant beefy gift to man.

Canteen
817 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
(415) 928-8870

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Douglas Cress said...

Is that butter or sour cream on the apple pancake? It looks good - and I agree, I too prefer the crispy exterior - its certainly lacking in most pancakes.

The bread on the RB sandwich looks like a perfect accompaniment to the meat.

3/31/2007 7:51 AM  
Anonymous pay per head said...

I wonder why I did not knew this before.... it was a good read. You are working on a very good blog.. I look forward to visit your blog again....

5/12/2012 9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home